Oregon law requires non-commercial drivers to carry insurance that covers medical expenses and wage loss regardless of who was at fault in the accident. Your insurance company is required to provide personal injury protection, or PIP, when you or your passengers suffer injuries as a result of a collision. The minimum policy in Oregon covers reasonable and necessary medical expenses for one year, or up to $15,000, whichever comes first. The policy will also pay wage loss of you are out of work for 14 consecutive days as a result of your injuries. Seventy percent (70%) of your usual wages will be covered, up to $3,000 per month, for up to 52 weeks. PIP also covers loss of services, and in severe accidents pays funeral expenses.

The insurance company will pay your bills for you, and then seek to recover the payments from the negligent driver, in the event you are not negligent, when the claim is finished. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about forcing the negligent driver’s insurance company to pay your medical expenses.   Although the law requires your insurance company to cover reasonable and necessary medical expenses, some insurers question their own insured’s medical care and may send you to an “independent medical exam” or IME. These exams are not independent, but almost always result in an “opinion” by the examining physician or chiropractor that the accident did not cause your symptoms, or your are malingering or faking your injuries.   If your insurance company refuses to pay your medical bills, those few that have it can have their health insurers cover the expenses, or you can sue your insurance company to do the right thing and pay your related medical expenses. If you prevail, your insurance company will have to pay your litigation costs and attorney fees.   Once you reach your limits (minimum $15,000, but your policy may have higher limits), or you are still treating beyond 1 year, your health insurance will have to cover your medical expenses. If you don’t have health insurance, you alone will be responsible for your expenses.   For a free consultation on the specific circumstances of your situation, call Joe Walsh at 541-323-3440, or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..